Feed Us A Live Insect

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Seattle--The Funhouse

Right across from The Space Needle is this place called The Funhouse. We were expecting this to be a more...um...populated show, but alas the 4th of July weekend struck again and we played to the other bands waiting to go on. But that was okay--they were all great, and we played what I'm pretty sure was our best show so far. It was also our loudest show so far, so loud in fact that I think we need to start wearing earplugs during our set--on the ride back from the club I thought Mary said to me "I think I need to start wearing your clothes onstage," when in fact what she really said was "I think we need to wear earplugs onstage." Which is too bad, because I don't want to go deaf and also I want to see Mary wear my clothes.

We played with a Seattle trio called Luxxe who played cool, dancy, sort of deconstructed rock songs, including this one longer, mostly instrumental piece they introduced as "all prog rock," and was haunting and lovely. We hung out with them in the parking lot because their bass player, Danny, was too young to get into the bar until she actually played their set. Danny wound up with one of our handmade shirts--a brown sleeveless thing with a fake fur collar and a dinosaur listening to records painted on the front. We're glad such a cool person got it--and I think we're going to visit the bakery where she works tomorrow morning before we leave for Eugene.

We also played with a San Diego band called The Long And The Short Of It who played loud, complex, screaming punk metal kind of songs, with the lead singer looking a bit like Iggy Pop and swallowing the mic to get it to feed back in strange, low textures. They also had a flying V bass, the first one I've ever seen, and I was most impressed by it. Really nice guys to boot, we wish them godspeed on the rest of their tour!

And, dammit, I got called a hippy AGAIN. We were hanging out behind the Funhouse with Luxxe when this bald guy with a brown pleather turtleneck saunters up and says "what are the hippy homos doing back here?" Apparently it's my hair. Now I really, really want to get it cut off.

We're both sad that we played our last show in Seattle. We really like this place--it's a gorgeous place and we like everyone we've met. I think we'll be coming back soon--but for now, onto Eugene!

2 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

try telling them you are a post modern hippy and when they ask what that is spit up a furball.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man
i think you may get a surprise on the 14th...i'm not sure.
hm....who is this...i don't know.
start guessing.
and then myspace who you think it is....come on monolators...i have faith you'll guess right.
but in all actuallity....you'll never find out until you get to the 14th.
ho hum
what a wasteful comment.
annoymous69

 

Post a Comment

<< Home