Feed Us A Live Insect

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Everyday


circa 1953

If you somehow haven't noticed, today is the 50th anniversary of Buddy Holly's death, along with Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Buddy is obviously one of my biggest idols--I've always chased his style to various degrees of slavishness right from the beginning of the Monolators, we've covered "Rave On" in the past, and I've had a vague (and probably not to be pursued anytime soon) idea of covering "Well All Right" in the style of "I'm In Love With A German Film Star" by the Passions--that would be pretty good, right?

Instead we chose to mark this somewhat morbid occasion with a stab at "Everyday." Jillinda is on keyboards/synths and Ray from Maxwell Demon is on lead guitar. The clattering bits are drumsticks on our garage door, recorded and looped thru one of those little Casio synths that let you sample & play back yourself burping up and down the keyboard. LINK!

Incidentally, there's a pretty cool documentary on Buddy called The Real Buddy Holly Story (used copies from $7.13, that magic price) that you should check out. You need to get past the beginning parts with the fellow sitting at a picnic table singing about how he knew Buddy Holly, no really he did, and then there's some cool stuff, including some footage I'd never seen before of Buddy playing in England. And then there's Paul McCartney singing something or other in a barn and it all falls apart. But there you go.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous James Lester said...

I would love to have something new, Or had I say, Ive never seen on Buddy Holly. I was introduced to his music at the age of six. That was 1977. My mother told me he was dead when I asked to see him in concert. I cried for months. How could my hero be dead! I had just discovered his music. Anyway!!! I am sitting here 52 years later, Feb. 3rd 2011, playing Buddy Holly all day long. What more can I do on my hero's death date. Long Live Buddy Holly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home