Feed Us A Live Insect

Monday, October 05, 2009

When Captain Geech Met Teardrop

So it turned out not to be the Los Angeles Disco-Skiffle Ensemble but rather When Captain Geech Met Teardrop. The "Teardrop" part is obvious (IE Matthew Teardrop of Manhattan Murder Mystery) but apparently I was Captain Geech. Who came up with that name? Was it Johnny Seasons? I can't remember now.

Anway--after the Natural Disasters/Jack Wilson Jr./Meredith Meyer collaboration and the Transmissions/Magick Orchids collabo (which was a half-hour psychedelic improvised soundtrack to an abstract video--hard to follow and something that neither Mary or I could pull off), we shoehorned ourselves into the kids' play area of Swork and banged out our goofy Lonnie Donegan/Baccarra hybrid, with Don of Don's Music joining in on bongos. I don't know why but I was incredibly nervous for this show--partially because we threw the band together kind of last-minute, so there wasn't a ton of practicing, and partially because I didn't really know what I was doing and there seemed like there was a sea of people inside Swork. All good things but I felt kind of sick. Mary declined the use of a microphone for her sax, which I wish I could have done myself, so she was kind of quiet, except that let her march out into the audience during "Jack Of Diamonds." Oh and Johnny's synth drumkit collapsed during "Cumberland Gap" and he ended up having to play the snare trigger on his lap. But he kept going, the trooper. I think "Yes Sir I Can Boogie" went okay.

I have never sweat so much during an acoustic show before. I wonder if there are going to be more WCGMT shows? Not sure, I hope so. It was fun! Many thanks to Swork, Pauline & Pehrspace, Johnny, Adam, Matt and Don.

No pictures yet. Are there any? I can share this, though.

3 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was awesome. But "Yes, Sir, I Can Boogie" made my six months. I'm ELATED there is an mp3.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Eli Monolator said...

I'm glad. I recorded another version but I think maybe this boombox version beats it.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Recording LA said...

http://recordingla.blogspot.com/2009/10/when-captain-geech-met-teardrop-feat.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home