Feed Us A Live Insect

Monday, February 16, 2009

Observations on fake logs

Let's talk about the weather in Los Angeles for a moment. Yes, I know, all the rest of you living in less-temperate climes have snow to deal with; I don't care, because we have these bastard potato bugs instead, and frankly there's hardly any comparison:



For those of you who do not know, this is an insect of up to thirty feet in length that crawls from out of the desert in packs searching for potatoes, or, lacking those, the sweet nectar of human flesh. I have personally seen one of them hiding beneath the bridge next to the Brite Spot, giggling, which looks like this:



So don't let me hear about your thirty inches of sleet, because in fact potato bugs hate the cold and that's all that's keeping you from being pulped by six-foot mandibles and lapped up like a daiquirí.

But anyway--the weather, the weather, right. Yesterday's weather was lovely, with a dense grey mist in the morning breaking up later into towering white clouds rolling the smog away through a bright blue sky that I almost never see here. At one point the sun was shining WHILE it was still raining, which, as I seem to recall from some Akira Kurosawa movie, is the ideal weather for some especially rare event that human beings never get to see, something to do with foxes, I think--like maybe it means the foxes are all getting married, or maybe it was that the foxes are all going shopping, or the foxes are all peeing in the woods or something along those lines.

So at this point I was going to insert an observation on fake logs, but frankly it wasn't very interesting so I'll get to the meat of the matter.

Monolators are playing tonight (Tuesday) at Echo Curio with Karabel Nightlife and, from NYC, The Shivers. This is special because it's our first show sans-Tom. It's also special because the band will have the "Everyday" lineup (that means Jillinda plus Ray) and I do believe we're going to be playing that very song tonight! We go on at 10, it's all ages and BYOB.

And tomorrow (Wednesday) Cobra Lilies are playing in this. Please do come because it's being recorded LIVE. It will also be broadcast via stickam, as far as I know. I don't know if we are ready for this, but it's happening all the same.



We are excited. AND YOU?

2 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know it's funny if you can post such well lit photos of my nightmare hosts and still make me giggle. not that i'm not always giggling. maybe it was nervous giggling.

poppycock: gold stars! you're a clever bundle of atoms.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Eli Monolator said...

Was it you giggling? OR WAS IT THE POTATO BUG?

No, it was probably you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home